Pinkish Black - Until


I never know if I'm having a good dream or a bad one when I sit down and let this band's sound wash over me, and that's exactly how I want it to stay.  I was admittedly a little bit late to the game when I discovered the Experimental Gothic Heavy Psych(?) band Pinkish Black back in late 2016 when they announced their tour with the legendary Sleep.  I listened to the artist's first three full-length records, and I found their sound to be so perfectly thick and dark.  Their live performance was one of the most powerful I've ever seen, and I knew then that this band deserved to be huge, and after hearing this new single, I'm more confident than ever that they will be.  This is one of the coolest bands out there, being a synth-driven two-piece that prides itself on experimenting with soundscapes and odd time signatures while keeping everything in order.

I've heard this new single countless times since it dropped, and I can't get enough of it.  My first thought when I heard the opening synth line was that these guys had a really great time touring with Sleep.  There's a punchier riffy element to this new single than I've ever heard from the duo in the past, which adds a much-welcomed intensity to their sound without abandoning the gothic trippy atmosphere that the band was founded upon.  The track climaxes with an astonishing synth solo that puts a smile on my face every single time.  Pinkish Black is still the same band they've always been, but with noticeably more influences, continuing along their trend of refining their sound with every release, and astonishingly avoiding falling into a slump even for a second.   


"Until" has more immediacy than long-time fans of the band may be used to, but with this immediacy comes even more control than ever before.  Bottom of the Morning was the soundtrack to a bad trip on a gloomy Sunday, but it also had a pleasant jammy flow to it; this new single is a fairly stark change in presentation, and a minor change in aesthetic.  Pinkish Black is proving to age even more finely than wine, and the upcoming record is one of my most anticipated of 2019.  You can pre-order the album HERE, it officially comes out June 14 on the legendary Relapse Records.

Post a Comment

0 Comments